Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Messes, a Recipe and Computer in Trauma!

Sandra, I cannot even begin to work in this kitchen!
So, Susan, just what do you think
I am doing up here! 
Oops, my apologizes
to Cousin Sandra, the Queen of Paint!
Good afternoon!  I know I am a day late on the Blog.  My apologizes to all my faithful readers who begin looking for the blog on Monday morning.

Well, let me tell you what's been happening.  I have started a new house/petsitting job in Winnsboro.  It really is fun to be in the middle of Winnsboro so close to the holidays...there will be Thanksgiving celebrations and Christmas programs galore.  And I will be pretty much in walking distance to everything.  I will be enjoying city life for a couple weeks while down on the farm, Cousin Sandra has been painting the kitchen and will be putting up new shelving to display my vast collection of spices and teas.



So, the blog is short and sweet today.  Because most of the rooms in the house are filled to the brim with stuff from the kitchen.  Which means there is really no place to cook or create anything herbal.


Wednesday, Nov. 16 is Homemade Bread Baking Day

I received this recipe in an e-newsletter I get from the author of the China Bayles mystery series.  Her name is Susan Wittig Albert and her website is Abouthyme.com.  I won't be able to try this bread for a couple days, or at least til I can locate the crock pot in the StarDragonfly Herbals kitchen.  I have an idea.....why don't you try this bread and let me know how it comes out!


Susan's Easy Slow-Cooker Herb Bread
Baked in your slow-cooker, this crisp-crust oat-and-wheat herb bread is moist and good-tasting. Great for summertime cooking or anytime you don't want to heat the oven. This recipe makes one small loaf.
  • 1 tblsp yeast
  • ¼ cup warm water
  • ½ cup warm milk
  • 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1½ tblsp olive oil
  • 1½ tblsp honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1/8 cup wheat germ
  • 2 tsp fresh or dried minced rosemary
  • 2 tsp minced fresh parsley
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp salt (optional)
  • 2 cups wheat flour, plus up to additional 1/3 cup
Turn on the slow cooker to high. Place a trivet (try a couple of fruit-jar rings or crumpled aluminum foil) in the bottom. Add 1 cup water.
Grease a deep bowl or other container that will fit your cooker. I use one of those 9"x5" disposable aluminum foil bread pans.
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Combine with warm milk, oats, oil, honey, egg, wheat germ, herbs, and salt (if desired). Stir in 2 cups flour, a cup at a time. Turn the soft dough out onto a floured board and knead, adding more flour as necessary, until the dough is soft and elastic. Shape to fit your cooking container.
The herbs are a suggestion; use your own favorite savory combinations.
Place dough in the cooking container and arrange on the trivet. Make a tent of aluminum foil and place loosely over the dough (this keeps moisture from dripping off the lid and into the dough). Bake on high for 3½ hours (no peeking until the end!), or until a toothpick tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.


Native Plant Society of Texas Winnsboro Chapter meeting Thursday, November 17 at (new time!) 6:00 pm!  At Art & Espresso on Market St. in Winnsboro.  I will give a short talk on plants used for dyeing fibers.

Well, I shall let you get on about your day....I have been hearing thunder rumbling outside and that means at any given moment the computer can shut itself down and go into hiding.  Great, a computer with Thunderstorm anxiety!  Have a great week!  Messily yours, Susan


Maximilian's SunflowerHelianthus maximilianii



 

No comments:

Post a Comment