Monday, October 24, 2011

A Sugar High and a Sweet Voice

Candy Corn
Granoturco di candy
How close is this Italian translation
to Latin?
Good afternoon, All!  I am a little late getting around to blogging on this foggy Monday, because I am pet sitting with a lovely elderly lady dog named Elsie and her cockatiel friend, Bird.  So just a quick blog then I am off to stay with my new furry and feathered pals for a few days.

October 30 is National Candy Corn Day! 

I hate to admit it but I love this stuff.  To me and my system it causes a pure sugar rush and has me pinging off the walls, so it is a one time a year indulgence.  When I was a kid, I thought Candy Corn must be food of  the Gods, after all we only had this colorful sweet at Halloween!

"Candy corn history dates back to the 1880s when the Philadelphia-based Wunderlee Candy Company's George Renninger invented this popular candy. Wunderlee Candy Company was the first company to manufacture the candy. In 1900, the Goelitz Candy Company, which later became the Jelly Belly Candy Company, started making these candies and continues to make candy corn today.

Originally the candy was made by hand.[3] Manufacturers first combined sugar, corn syrup, wax, and water and cooked them to form a slurry. Fondant was added for texture and marshmallows were added to provide a soft bite.[3] The final mixture was then heated and poured into shaped molds. Three passes, one for each colored section, were required during the pouring process.
The recipe remains basically the same today."  This information is from Wikipedia.com


Heather McCready

Photos courtesy of
crossroadsmusiccompany.com
A couple weeks ago, Cousin Sandra, Ann, L and I went to see the Heather McCready Ensemble in concert at Crossroads Music Company and Listening Room in Winnsboro.  We have seen Heather and her guys perform several times and love them every time we see them.  If you have never had the pleasure of seeing Heather or listening to one of her CD's Sandra has found a link to view several of her videos.

Heather
Show Schedule:
http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/artist_shows/554156
Photos:
http://www.reverbnation.com/page_object/page_object_photos/554156

The opening act for Heather was an up and coming local singer named Lindsey Gail.   You can learn about Lindsey at her website:  http://www.lindseygail.com/


Title card from 1966 TV special

And the Great Pumpkin will rise up out of his pumpkin patch
with his bag of toys for all the good children.
—Charles Schultz, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!


Well, hate to rush off.....but I should go check on Elsie.  So until next Monday, be good and leave a few of those sweet treats for the Trick or Treaters.  Or maybe just stuff your favorites or the Candy Corn to the back of the cupboard, I won't tell!  Susan

I'm outta here!

No comments:

Post a Comment